Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"Spring Breakers"- Awful, Awful, Awful Attempt at Being an Artistic Film


collider.com
 
Awful, awful, awful… I have no other words but awful.  Actually, that's I lie.  I have plenty to say.

I went to see "Spring Breakers" late last night with one of my oldest friends.  Much like everyone else in the theatre, we had a high expectation coming into this film.  There had been so much hype leading up to the premiere, that I was really disappointed in how much it SUCKED.  It was a terrible attempt to be an artistic film.  Throughout the whole movie I kept thinking, "Why am I here?”, "I paid for this?", "What is even going on right now?” 

In case you hadn't heard anything about this disaster film, I will do my best at trying to explain it for you.   Brit, Faith, Candy and Cotty are sick of seeing the same things every day.  It’s spring break and everyone is going down to Florida for this huge college rager.  They are short on cash, so three of the girls decide to rob a local restaurant— total badasses right?  Once they get down to Florida, they are immersed into the party of a lifetime.  Drugs, alcohol, and excessive partying, lead them to getting arrested.  They think they will be caged up forever, until they are bailed out by a major drug lord/local rapper/arms dealer named Alien.  If getting arrested wasn’t MY first ‘get outta town’ thought; then meeting this guy would have been. 

In addition to the clichéd party scenes, there was an unnecessary amount of nudity and I sat in the theatre feeling cheap and dirty.  I just couldn’t wait to get out of there.  There were so many scenes shot with an oblique camera angle that it made me feel dizzy and unfocused.  The really was no plot to this film, other than trashy girls going on spring break to see if they could get even MORE trashy. 

The film was directed by Harmony Korine, and starred Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson, Heather Morris, Selena Gomez, and James Franco.  I will say that it was interesting to see Franco play a creepy drug lord.  The film definitely proved that he isn’t limited to any particular roles.  I was actually even impressed by Selena Gomez.  She did a great job at displaying emotion through her innocent character.  From seeing her in this film, I kind of take her more seriously now and believe that she can do A LOT better in picking the right films for herself. 

If I were to rate this film, it’s obvious that I would give it a half a star.  You can be the judge for yourself, but don’t say that I didn’t warn you!  Here’s a trailer for the film, along with a cast interview.  Let me know your thoughts!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment