Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"Oz: The Great and Powerful" Film Review


This week is March Break so I took my niece to see Oz: The Great and Powerful, which she had been dying to go see.  We arrived 45 minutes before the film was supposed to start, and it was ALREADY sold out.  I couldn’t believe it!  I guess everyone had the same idea as I did.  So we waited an hour for the next show time, which was unfortunately in 3D.  I’m not a fan on 3D movies AT ALL.  First of all, it’s like 4 dollars more just to wear the stupid glasses to see it in a third dimension.  Secondly, I always end up leaving the theatre with a huge head afterwards.  But I’m glad we decided to see it anyways because it was a really mesmerizing film.

Oz: The Great and Powerful is a prequel to the ever so famous classic, The Wizard of Oz (1939).  This film has a stunning cast, which consists of James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams, and Rachel Weisz.  Oscar Diggs is a small-time circus magician with questioning ethics.  He is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz, where he meets three witches, Theodora, Evanora and Glinda.  Oscar presents himself as “the great and powerful Oz”, but the witches are not entirely convinced that he more »is the great wizard everyone's been expecting.  The Wicked Witch has been wreaking terror onto the land, and Oscar reluctantly agrees to help the people of Oz defeat her.  He must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late by putting his magical arts to use through deception, ingenuity-and even a bit of wizardry. 

The film is a little over 2 hours long, and it is rated PG.  I don’t know who was responsible for this rating, but I really thought that this movie was still too scary for some kids, even with parental guidance.  I saw some kids in the theatre who had to of been around 3 years old!  I’m sorry, but I find that age to be too young.  The Washington Post even said that some of the scarier parts make the film a little much for children younger than 10- especially if it’s in 3D.

Overall, I have to say that my niece and I both enjoyed the film.  The graphics were magical, and Director Sam Raimi takes you on a magical journey through the Land of Oz that you didn’t get to see in the original Wizard of Oz.

Take a look at the trailer below, along with a behind the scenes featurette!
 

2 comments:

  1. Bring me back in childhood days. Simple Fairy Tell Black and white in 10 min begining then suddenly bring color in 3D give awesome effects. Good movie specially when watched with kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your feedback! It was a great movie indeed!

      Delete