Wednesday, March 6, 2013

21 and Over

“21 years ago, Jeff Chang entered the world naked and screaming. Tonight, he will end up the same way."

Before last night, I couldn’t remember the last time I laughed so hard in a movie. I went to see “21 and Over”, starring Miles Teller (Footloose), Skylar Astin (Pitch Perfect), and Justin Chon (Twilight Saga).  This film is from the writers of “The Hangover”, and was the directorial debut for Jon Lucas and Scott Moore. 

I’ve loved Skylar Astin ever since I saw “Pitch Perfect”.  I think he is completely charming in a hot, nerdy kind of way, and he has this sarcastic type of humor that I love.  I’m still a little new to Miles Teller but I think he is fantastic.  I’ve seen him play a total douche bag jock in “Project X”, and an adorable southern boy in “Footloose”.  Regardless of their previous roles— these guys made me laugh my pants off in this film.

Straight-A college student, Jeff Chang has always done everything his controlling father has told him to do.  It’s his 21st birthday, but he is more focused on the important medical school interview his dad set up for the morning after.  His two oldest friends, Miller and Casey, surprise him on his milestone birthday and plan to take him out for “just one beer”.  But, similar to The Hangover, things get out of control and their night turns into a sequence of events engulfed by over indulgence, embarrassment, and absolute debauchery. 

Turning 21 in America is similar to turning 19 in Canada.  It’s a rite of passage.  Like Miller says in the movie, “This is the day that you get to tell every bouncer who’s ever carded you! You’re 21”!  A bunch of stuck up old geezers from Rotten Tomatoes called this film, “tasteless, and unfunny”.  I can only assume this means that they forgot what it was like to be young and 21- probably because it’s been decades since their youth.

Life moves so fast, and before you know it, we are going to be those boring old people with mortgages and kids to take care of.  So until then, I say we all party like it’s our 21 birthday.

Here’s the trailer and a short clip!  Tell me what you guys thought!


No comments:

Post a Comment